|Smallville review: Salvation
||[May. 14th, 2010|09:25 pm]
A definite improvement over Doomsday!
- For a Clexer, there were some sweet moments here. Naturally, Clark would dream of a future where Lex is still alive. And his musing to Lois about his "relationships that ended too soon" was a nice shout-out to Clex and Clana.
- Also love that Clark acknowledges those relationships happened - they're part of who he is and what he brings to the table with Lois.
- The pre-secrets portion of the Clois barn scene was very good. Often with Clois scenes, I miss Clark POV but Tom had some great stuff to work with and Erica sold it very well too.
- Callum B., who I've had doubts about, was great tonight. Love that Zod is consistently not that bright and betrayed himself with the least subtle stage-whisper in TV history! He also got in one last "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" which reached campiness of Zor-El proportions. Kudoes!
- That was Granny Goodness in the hospital, yes? Very sinister and nicely done. And I doubt very much that Tess is permanently dead. Cassidy Freeman rocked her scenes.
- Tom got some powerful speeches tonight. When he said "I killed my father!" I got chills. I've never thought that, but knowing Clark does adds to the link between himself and Lex.
- As soon as Chloe sent Oliver into the airvents, I knew we would get an "Alien" homage but it was very well done, particularly Justin's last line.
- Martha made the costume!
- All the Kandorians dramatically ripping off their armbands - YOU'RE NOT IN FASHION ANY MORE, ZOD!
- And unlike last year: a suspenseful ending!
- The secrets portion of the Clois barn scene. Had a familiar ring to it...
- Why wasn't Lois covering Zod's reign of terror instead of poking around Clark's barn? Would also have preferred if Lois had been suspicious enough not to bring the Book of Rao to meet the Blur.
- It would have been more powerful if Clark was arguing to leave Earth with the Kandorians and Chloe was begging him to stay.
Overall: better than Doomsday, Phantom and Exodus. About the same as Vessel. Not as good as Tempest, Covenant, Commencement or Arctic (yes, that's the Clex-cuddle bias shining through there!)